Physical Activity (Renfrewshire)
The physical activity service within RAMH is designed to support service user’s to increase their levels of exercise and activity. This support is viewed as a positive way to sustain and improve their physical and mental health and wellbeing.
The recommendations for physical activity for adults are shown on this link. http://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/ .
These guidelines are given as a way of keeping both mentally and physically active and healthy.
Our supports are offered to all individuals aged 16+ who are experiencing mental health problems, to provide exercise, structure and social connectivity through engagement in physical activity.
There are a range of short term interventions offered in the form of physical activity groups’ and one to one support. These can be accessed in East Renfrewshire through Causeway Day Services, and in Renfrewshire through the Renfrewshire Community Service Team.
Physical activity helps:
- Prevent and better control some risk factors for; heart disease, blood cholesterol, diabetes and hypertension.
- Improve muscle and bone health (osteoporosis prevention)
- Improve sleep.
- Control weight.
Get Active for Mental Wellbeing:
Being active is great for your physical health and fitness, and evidence shows it can also improve your mental wellbeing. We think that the mind and body are separate. But what you do with your body can have a powerful effect on your mental wellbeing. Mental wellbeing means feeling good – both about yourself and about the world around you. It means being able to get on with life in the way you want. Evidence shows there’s a link between being physically active and good mental wellbeing.
RAMH Physical Activity Support provides:
- Initial face to face consultation (Fit Stop assessment) to determine current mental wellbeing, address and overcome any perceived barriers to participation and identify activities that may be of interest.
- Group activities such as Walking, Swimming, Football, Yoga/Relaxation and more…….
- One to one support for those needing support to access community activity such as the gym, keep fit classes, and/or other activities identified through the Fit stop assessment
- Help to identify and support to access activities in the local community
- Progress review following a predetermined amount of activity
- Links to programs at local Sports Centre’s: https://www.renfrewshireleisure.com/
Read David’s story by clicking the link below
Contact 0141 847 8900 or email@example.com
We have a physical activity team at RAMH who supports people to improve wellbeing through becoming more active.
Graham Cossar: Physical Activity Worker
Margaret-Rose MacSween: Physical Activity Worker
Steven McAdam: Lead Football Worker